The Everyday Ageism Project

The Everyday Ageism Project aims to capture people’s everyday experiences of ageism. Research by EURAGE shows that across the European region, ageism is the most commonly experienced form of prejudice, yet relatively little is known about how it is experienced, who experiences it and the situations which may leave people vulnerable to age discrimination.

By providing a safe forum for people to anonymously share their experiences, the project aims to understand the consequences of ageism and the ways that age discrimination can affect people’s everyday lives. We also wish to encourage people to share their stories to show that ageism does exist and that it is a valid problem worth discussing.


Pages

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Ageism...When Retirement Age Arrived

"I do my best to confront discrimination of any kind"


When my retirement age arrived, I was told that I could stay on longer at work but would not get any extra Pension rights or employer contribution paid, and I would only be on an annual contract with a reduction of hours. My life experience and knowing a lot about the nature of the work told me that the reduction of hours would imply they would expect the same work done in less time. Note that when I retired they did employ another person, on fewer hours to do the same work. That person was unable to cope under pressure and left. All of my appraisals had been rated as excellent up to the time of my retirement. Management expected that I was not able to keep up the pace of work, for no other reason than that I had reached retirement age.

I was pleased to retire, but a little angry that managers with so little understanding of the work were able to manipulate a decent worker out just to get a cheaper one in, who could not keep up the required pace.


Retirement has made me free to carry out voluntary work with two organisations. My experience in all of this has shown me that in spite of the Government saying they support older people, they STILL discriminate against older people. However by being active I do my best to confront discrimination of any kind and shall keep doing so as long as I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment