The Everyday Ageism Project

The Everyday Ageism Project aims to capture people’s everyday experiences of ageism. Research by EURAGE shows that across the European region, ageism is the most commonly experienced form of prejudice, yet relatively little is known about how it is experienced, who experiences it and the situations which may leave people vulnerable to age discrimination.

By providing a safe forum for people to anonymously share their experiences, the project aims to understand the consequences of ageism and the ways that age discrimination can affect people’s everyday lives. We also wish to encourage people to share their stories to show that ageism does exist and that it is a valid problem worth discussing.


Pages

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Too old to be a student?

Male, 23 years, tells how he was judged "too old to be a student" 


"I went to get my phone fixed at a local mobile company. When the person started fixing it he asked if I was from around here. I said yes, I am a student [at the University] and I received a reply of "your a bit old to be a student aren't you."  He seemed to base a stereotype of university with age and thought based on my appearance (without knowing my age) that I was too old."

"I felt ok, not shocked. Though this was the first time anyone ever judged my age whilst I have been studying at university. I was more surprised."

No comments:

Post a Comment