The Everyday Ageism Project

The Everyday Ageism Project aims to capture people’s everyday experiences of ageism. Research by EURAGE shows that across the European region, ageism is the most commonly experienced form of prejudice, yet relatively little is known about how it is experienced, who experiences it and the situations which may leave people vulnerable to age discrimination.

By providing a safe forum for people to anonymously share their experiences, the project aims to understand the consequences of ageism and the ways that age discrimination can affect people’s everyday lives. We also wish to encourage people to share their stories to show that ageism does exist and that it is a valid problem worth discussing.


Pages

Thursday 17 January 2013

Patronising Health Care

"I don't want to get old as people do not respect you or consider that you are important"


"My 79 year old mother felt unwell so I called the GP to her home, after 3 requests he finally arrived.  He walked through the door looked at my mother and said "So how are you then, and if you say alright I am out of that door".  He spoke to her as if she was 6 years old and could not hear or understand him.  My mother was perfectly lucid 'normal' and could hear very well, she did not go to the doctors on a regular basis.  The GP did not examine my mother but asked her a couple of questions then diagnosed  water infection.  His manner was very patronising and he treated her like a child.  I found this very annoying and disgusting that someone who did not abuse the NHS service was not receiving any respect or any service."

"I felt very angry that a 79 year old who was unwell was not receiving medical treatment and diagnosis. I feel that I don't want to get old as people do not respect you or consider that you are important."

No comments:

Post a Comment