The Everyday Ageism Project

The Everyday Ageism Project aims to capture people’s everyday experiences of ageism. Research by EURAGE shows that across the European region, ageism is the most commonly experienced form of prejudice, yet relatively little is known about how it is experienced, who experiences it and the situations which may leave people vulnerable to age discrimination.

By providing a safe forum for people to anonymously share their experiences, the project aims to understand the consequences of ageism and the ways that age discrimination can affect people’s everyday lives. We also wish to encourage people to share their stories to show that ageism does exist and that it is a valid problem worth discussing.


Pages

Thursday 13 December 2012

Troublemaker teenager?

28 year old remembers how her school uniform made her feel like she was being judged 'troublemaker'


"When I was in Secondary School, I would always be followed around the local shops by various staff members and security.  There were also signs on the shop doors that stated 'No groups of students in school uniform. One at a time please'-probably as they could only follow one person at a time! One time I remember being in the shopping mall with 3 friends (not even in a shop!). We were asked by a security guard to move along. I asked why? He said because we were blocking the pathway, yet there was plenty of space and groups of mothers with prams who were not being asked to move. Although, this happened to me years ago I have witnessed it happen to others of a similar age ever since.  I believe we were only asked to move due to our age. The other groups of older people were not treated in the same negative way."

[This made me feel] "Extremely angry, that just because I was in a school uniform and with 3 friends I was being treated like I was a petty thief or troublemaker."

The shop staff and security guards were estimated to be between 30-50 years old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment